When you use the Severn Bronies website you are providing us with information specific to you. This document is meant to inform you on what data we collect, why we collect it, and what we do with it. It’s also about what information we store on your computer or device, so that might be helpful too.
We collect information so that we can provide services to you, ranging from the little stuff—like giving you realtime weather information coming up to a meet—to the more interesting things, like competitions and giveaways.
We collect information in the following ways:
- Information you give us directly, like when filling out forms to win a snazzy DVD. This will typically involve some basic information, such as your name and email address, and may extend to your physical address if necessary. We use this information so we can contact you, should the need arise.
- Information we collect automatically by your use of our website. This covers a wide range of information including device and operating system information, browser information, language settings, date and time information, and your internet protocol address. We collect this information so we can improve our services based on how people use them.
- Information we collect automatically with your consent. This is most commonly going to be your location, which we can obtain using the HTML5 Geolocation API. How we obtain your location differs depending on the capabilities of your browser or device.
Sometimes we need to store small amounts of information on your device so that we can make the website work properly and to customise your experience. We need to be able to read this information too (otherwise it’s kind of useless) so this also constitutes collecting information… probably.
We store information in the following ways:
- In cookies. Cookies are little pieces of text that are stored on your computer and are transmitted to the server with each page request. Unlike actual cookies, they don’t taste good and are, in fact, inedible due to their digital nature.
- In local storage. Local storage is similar to cookies, however—unlike cookies—local storage data never leaves your computer and is only read when specifically requested.
Sharing is caring. Despite that, we won’t use any information you give to us for anything other than the specific purpose you gave it to us for. We won’t spam you with irrelevant email spam garbage and we won’t sell it to a multinational corporation for some of that sweet, sweet dolla. We only ask for it because we need it to do that one thing.
The only exception is when the police come to us with a warrant asking for any information we might have on you, in which case we kinda don’t have a choice. Don’t do drugs, kids.
We try to keep this website secure, however ask that you recognise when providing your information to us that there is no guarantee that it is secure. We are not responsible for any loss or unauthorised interception of information transmitted via the internet which is beyond our control.
(Of course if it’s within our control it’s totally our responsibility. Soz.)